Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Steve2 in LA||
REC: Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie with Crunchy Streusel Topping
Joined: Feb 7, 2006
Posted to Thread #17851 at 3:36 am on Mar 3, 2010
Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie with Crunch Topping
Pastry for DOUBLE-CRUST 9-INCH PIE
1 cup SUGAR
½ cup + 2 Tbsp KING ARTHUR PIE FILLING THICKENER
3 cups sliced RHUBARB
2 cups small STRAWBERRIES
2 Tbsp UNSALTED BUTTER
1 tsp MILK
1 tsp SUGAR
Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a 9” pie plate with half of pastry; set aside.
Combine sugar, and pie filling thickener; add rhubarb and strawberries and toss gently. Let sit about ½ hour.
Spoon strawberry-rhubarb mixture into prepared pastry shell. Top with thin slices of butter. Top with a ½ inch strip, lattice. Brush pastry with milk; sprinkle with sugar then the crunch topping.
Bake on a cookie sheet (to catch drips) at 425°F for 12 to 15 minutes, then turn to 375°F for 40 or 45 minutes until golden brown. Cool on a rack. Serve warm or at room temperature with the best vanilla ice cream you can find.
3 Tbsp ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR
1 Tbsp SUGAR
1 Tbsp BUTTER, at room temperature
Combine the flour, sugar and salt in a bowl. Using a fork, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over top of crust.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Other messages in this thread:
- 17851. Pi Day is coming up on 3/14 so thot it a good time to start a pie thread... - MariaDNoCA - 9:04am on 03/02/10 (30)
- REC: My Oh My, Peach Pie and Peach Crostata (make this every year) - MariaDNoCA - 9:09am on 03/02/10
- David's My Oh My Blueberry Pie is a favorite, didn't think about using peaches. Thanks! [NT] - Curious1 - 6:21pm on 03/02/10
- Strawberry Cream Pie - Meryl - 9:13am on 03/02/10
- Key Lime Pie - Meryl - 9:14am on 03/02/10
- and my favorite REC: Key Lime Pie - cheezz - 2:38am on 03/03/10
- Cheez! This is GREAT! I've been looking for a Key Lime Pie that doesn't use condensed (feh!) milk. - Steve2 in LA - 3:00am on 03/03/10
- You wouldn't put it in lemon pie, so why lime?! Anyway, let me know how you like it [NT] - cheezz - 6:50am on 03/03/10
- Right there with you, cheez. I'll let you know. [NT] - Steve2 in LA - 9:23pm on 03/03/10
- Have you tried the Cook's Illustrated Key Lime Bars from their Jul/Aug 2006 issue? [NT] - cheezz - 6:52am on 03/03/10
- I hate sweetened condensed milk also. The only time I like it is in Key Lime Pie. [NT] - Meryl - 8:19am on 03/03/10
- Am. Test Kitchen has updated their Key Lime Pie last Sat. - BobbiJoAZ - 8:57pm on 03/03/10
- Meatless Mince Pie - BobbiJoAZ - 1:58pm on 03/02/10
- Fruit Pizza Pie - BobbiJoAZ - 2:06pm on 03/02/10
- Peanut Butter Pie - BobbiJoAZ - 2:08pm on 03/02/10
- BBQ Chicken Potpie With Cornbread Crust - MariaDNoCA - 1:23am on 03/03/10
- Tomato Pie - MariaDNoCA - 1:28am on 03/03/10
- Vidalia Onion Pie - MariaDNoCA - 8:31am on 03/03/10
- and don't forget crust recipes! REC: Oatmeal Pie Crust - cheezz - 2:39am on 03/03/10
- REC: Easiest Ever Mixer Crust - cheezz - 2:40am on 03/03/10
- REC: Mud Pie - cheezz - 2:41am on 03/03/10
- REC: Pumpkin Pecan Crumble Pie - cheezz - 2:42am on 03/03/10
- REC: Buttermilk Pie - cheezz - 2:42am on 03/03/10
- REC: Eggnog Chiffon Pie - cheezz - 2:43am on 03/03/10
- REC: Grandma Dart's Pecan Pie - cheezz - 2:44am on 03/03/10
- REC: Strawberry Pie - cheezz - 2:45am on 03/03/10
- REC: Banana Cream Pie - cheezz - 2:46am on 03/03/10
- REC: Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie with Crunchy Streusel Topping - Steve2 in LA - 3:36am on 03/03/10
- On my to-try list: Triple Chocolate Pudding pie with cappuccino Cream [LINK] [IMAGE] - Meryl - 8:45am on 03/03/10
- Buckhead Diner White Chocolate Banana Cream Pie - Melissa Dallas - 4:01pm on 03/03/10
- On my try list: Momofuku's Crack Pie [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 9:11pm on 03/04/10