Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Here's another one to check out: Curried Butternut Squash Soup with Coconut Milk
Joined: Dec 19, 2005
Posted to Thread #19180 at 2:44 am on Oct 16, 2010
CURRIED BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP WITH COCONUT MILK
Serves 4 as a main course
- 2 tablespoons (25 mL) olive oil
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) minced gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) curry powder or paste
- 4 cups (1 L) water (my note: can substitute chicken broth or vegetable broth)
- 7 to 8 cups (1.8 to 2 L) diced butternut squash (1 large 3-pound/1.4-kg squash)
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons (6 mL) salt (my note: I'd use less)
- One 14-ounce (398-mL) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons (25 mL) lemon juice
1. Warm oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Stir in onions, garlic, gingerroot and cook 5 minutes. Sprinkle on curry powder and cook 1 minute, tossing continuously.
2. Pour in water and bring to a boil. Mix in squash, sugar, salt, and lower heat to a lively simmer. Cook 30 minutes, or until squash is very tender. Pour in coconut milk and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in lemon juice.
3. Puree soup in batches in a blender and return to a smaller pot, if desired. Reheat before serving, if necessary.
From Vegetarian Classics (Quill) by Jeanne Lemlin
A balanced diet is equal parts of milk and dark chocolate.
Other messages in this thread:
- 19180. ISO Butternut squash , acorn squash and carnival squash recipes - Tess - 3:35pm on 10/15/10 (17)
- Jamie Oliver's Butternut squash with pancetta and sage. It's a ravioli filling but makes a nice side - Joe - 3:59pm on 10/15/10
- REC: Whole Foods Market Butternut Squash and Crab Bisque. This is a winner, but I think it needs [LINK] - Marianne - 4:48pm on 10/15/10
- REC: Williams Sonoma Skillet Lasagna with Butternut Squash. This is very good also, but I think it [LINK] - Marianne - 4:55pm on 10/15/10
- thanks. this looks wonderful! [NT] - AngAk - 7:06pm on 10/15/10
- Butternut Squash Coleslaw [LINK] - desertjean - 8:01pm on 10/15/10
- I'll enjoy this one; I've wanting some different things to do with butternut squash. Who'd think - Marsha tbay - 9:02pm on 10/15/10
- REC: Butternut Squash Gratin with Goat Cheese and Walnuts - MichelleInIL - 10:46pm on 10/15/10
- REC: Butternut Squash Coconut Soup - Great reviews from members of Fine Cooking Forum - Meryl - 11:05pm on 10/15/10
- This looked good until I saw the fish sauce....can I use something else? [NT] - Marsha tbay - 1:50am on 10/16/10
- I never use fish sauce-I always use low sodium soy sauce to taste.(less amount than the fish sauce) [NT] - Meryl - 2:35am on 10/16/10
- Here's another one to check out: Curried Butternut Squash Soup with Coconut Milk - Meryl - 2:44am on 10/16/10
- AWESOME!!! [NT] - Marsha tbay - 3:09am on 10/16/10
- Winter Squash Soup w/ Gruyère Croutons-This soup from Bon Appetit uses both acorn & butternut squash [NT] [LINK] - Meryl - 11:25pm on 10/15/10
- Slow Cooker Stuffed Acorn Squash - Melissa Dallas - 11:48pm on 10/15/10
- This sounds great! Sometimes the simplest is the best... the other night I cooked - DawnNYS - 3:01am on 10/16/10
- Check this out:Moroccan-Style Stuffed Acorn Squash [NT] [LINK] - Meryl - 11:50pm on 10/15/10
- REC: Butternut Squash Pasta - yumm! [NT] [LINK] - deb-in-MI - 10:57am on 10/18/10