Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Mama Romano's Baked Lemon Chicken
Joined: Jan 11, 2007
Posted to Thread #19072 at 11:26 pm on Oct 1, 2010
Union Square Cafe Cookbook
1 - 3 1/2 pound chicken, cut into 10 pieces
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
flour for dredging
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cups thinly sliced onions
1 1/2 tablespoons thinly sliced garlic
8 fresh thyme sprigs
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
One hour before cooking, season the chicken pieces with half the salt and pepper.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Dredge the chicken in flour.
In a 10-inch ovenproof skillet or Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat. Sautee the chicken pieces to a rich golden brown. Transfer to a plate and reserve.
Discard the fat from the skillet and add the remaining olive oil. Add the onions and garlic and cook over moderate heat for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until very soft and lightly browned. Season with the remaining salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.
Spread the thyme sprigs over the onions and garlic. Arrange the browned chicken pieces side by side over the onions in the skillet. Add the chicken stock.
Cut 1 lemon into 10 slices, removing the seeds, and place 1 slice atop each piece of chicken. Squeeze the other lemon into a strainer over the chicken. Return the skillet to the heat and bring the stock to a simmer. Cover and place i the oven.
Baste the chicken every 15 minutes, cooking uncovered for 1 hour. When done, the chicken and lemon slices will be nicely browned. Let rest 5 minutes, transfer to a deep-welled platter and serve.
You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you can do
something about its depth. - M
Other messages in this thread:
- 19072. What do you do when all you seem to have is chicken-steak-hamburg - DawnNYS - 9:27am on 10/01/10 (28)
- I hit the cookbooks or websites for different ethnic foods for - Melissa Dallas - 10:20am on 10/01/10
- T&T has great recipes in it. Why not try something from there? [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 1:57pm on 10/01/10
- That's what I do - check out the T&T [NT] - cheezz - 5:02pm on 10/01/10
- How about broiled lamb chops (Costco), pork chops numerous ways, baked fish fillets...... - Janet in NC - 1:58pm on 10/01/10
- Make this Brazilian Hot Sauce - saute chops quickly to sear, pour some sauce over and bake! [NT] [LINK] - cheezz - 5:02pm on 10/01/10
- Looks like you're in a quick fix rut. Try braising for deeper flavor. [NT] - Traca - 11:05pm on 10/01/10
- This is one of my favorites: Baked Orecchiette with Pork Sugo [NT] [LINK] - Traca - 11:09pm on 10/01/10
- Long on flavor, easy to make: Oven-Fried Chicken Breasts with Pecan Crust - Traca - 11:23pm on 10/01/10
- Another one big on flavor: Ellie Krieger's Thai Beef Salad - Traca - 11:24pm on 10/01/10
- Mama Romano's Baked Lemon Chicken - Traca - 11:26pm on 10/01/10
- Bobby Flay's Grilled Salmon with Honey-Horseradish Mustard - Traca - 11:29pm on 10/01/10
- Roasted Vegetable Meatloaf with Mustard Mashed Potatoes - Traca - 11:34pm on 10/01/10
- gosh this sounds so good! [NT] - AngAk - 1:48pm on 10/04/10
- Just saw this in Food and Wine Mag, put it on my "to try" list. Glad - lorijean - 10:49am on 10/03/10
- Easy Orange Chicken from T&T: [NT] [LINK] - Meryl - 12:35am on 10/02/10
- Pasta with Roasted Vegetables and Garlic Broth [NT] [LINK] - Meryl - 12:36am on 10/02/10
- Baby Back Ribs [NT] [LINK] - Meryl - 12:39am on 10/02/10
- Vegetarian Tortilla Soup (Note: I increased the spices significantly, added a can of corn, [LINK] - Meryl - 12:43am on 10/02/10
- Chicken Gyros with Yogurt-Dill Sauce [NT] [LINK] - Meryl - 12:46am on 10/02/10
- Broiled Salmon with Lime Cilantro [NT] [LINK] - Meryl - 12:47am on 10/02/10
- Saffron Mussels (I use more butter, add some garlic, and serve it over linguine) [NT] [LINK] - Meryl - 12:51am on 10/02/10
- Here's another: Wok-Fried Clams with Chinese Black Beans - Traca - 4:25pm on 10/02/10
- Will be making this one, for sure! Thanks. [NT] - Traca - 5:12pm on 10/02/10
- Let me know how it turns out! [NT] - Meryl - 5:25pm on 10/02/10
- Thanks everyone - I was in a slump [NT] - DawnNYS - 10:45pm on 10/05/10
- Here's one to take a look at, posted by you! [NT] [LINK] - Dawn_MO - 8:07am on 10/06/10
- great post! [NT] - AngAk - 1:48pm on 10/06/10
- That's YOU, not me! ;o) Some good ones in there, thank you. [NT] - DawnNYS - 10:16pm on 10/06/10