Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
This was perfect for a cold night. Rec: Carrot Szechwan soup I used the IP
Joined: Dec 10, 2005
Posted to Thread #30085 at 11:13 pm on Jan 10, 2018
Made this in the Instant pot; 7 min; npr; then used the immersion blender.
Really good. I added sliced scallions as garnish.
Carrot Szechwan Soup
1 medium onion, chopped
1 celery rib, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 pound carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
a 3/4-inch piece fresh gingerroot, peeled and sliced thin
1/8 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
3 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
1 cup milk
Garnish: 1/4 cup sour cream mixed with 2 tablespoons heavy cream
In a large heavy saucepan cook onion, celery, and garlic in oil over moderately low heat, stirring, until onion is softened. Add carrots, gingerroot, red pepper flakes, and broth and simmer, covered, until carrots are very tender, about 45 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients and in a blender purée mixture in batches (use caution when blending hot liquids). Return soup to pan and heat over low heat until hot, being careful not to let boil.
Serve soup drizzled decoratively with sour cream mixture.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30085. This was perfect for a cold night. Rec: Carrot Szechwan soup I used the IP [LINK] - barb_b - 11:13pm on 01/10/18 (9)
- looks good what steps did you take for IP? [NT] - pmassell_93 - 11:19pm on 01/10/18
- for IP: is that 7 minutes on pressure, followed by natural pressure release? - Tess - 2:43am on 01/11/18
- Also, do you think I can skip the milk? I have everything else... [NT] - Tess - 2:43am on 01/11/18
- Not sure about leaving the milk out--this would be a good place to have a can - Charley - 2:44pm on 01/11/18
- made this today in the IP - pmassell_93 - 10:34pm on 01/11/18
- Do you mean even a tsp of sesame oil in the amount of liquid in this overpowered it? - Charley - 12:49am on 01/12/18
- actually I doubled the recipe and now I see that I misread it as tablespoons! [NT] - pmassell_93 - 1:18am on 01/12/18
- How about some coconut milk? [NT] - judy-mass - 8:28pm on 01/11/18
- today I made an alternate of this to accomodate food allergies - pmassell_93 - 10:48pm on 01/20/18