Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Cream Scones with kumquat curd
Joined: Jul 17, 2006
Posted to Thread #62 at 10:49 pm on Jul 22, 2009
I can't even describe how wonderful these are! The others I have posted (made with buttermilk) are delicious, too, but these have such a delicate texture. Brackets are around my own notes.
(from Cook's Illustrated)
2 cups flour
1 tbl. baking powder
3 tbl. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
5 tbl. butter, chilled, cut in small cube
1/2 cup currants [or 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips]
1 cup heavy cream
Heat oven to 425 deg. Line baking sheet with parchment.
Put flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in food processor and pulse to combine. Distribute butter evenly over flour mixture and pulse with 1-second pulses. [not, I do not use a food processor so I do it in a mixing bowl with pastry blender].
Pour cream over, add either the currants or chocolate chips [I MUCH prefer the chips], and pulse until it starts to gather together.
Transfer to counter and knead about 5-10 seconds. Pat into an 8" round and cut into 8 wedges. Place wedges on parchment. Bake 12-15 min. until done.
Lemon Curd (Kumquat version)
Makes 1-3/4 to 2 cups
5 tbl. butter
2/3 cup lemon juice [or 1 cup kumquats - that's about 5-1/2 ounces, plus 1/2 cup orange juice]
2/3 cup sugar
2 large eggs
4 egg yolks
1-1/2 tbl. grated lemon peel, yellow part only
If using kumquats, stem and seed them then whirl them with the sugar in a food processor until smoothly pureed. In a 10-12” skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Remove from heat and add lemon juice (or kumquat puree and orange juice), sugar, whole eggs, egg yolks, and peel. Stir with a whisk to blend well, then return to low heat and stir until mixture thickly coats a metal spoon (8-10 minutes). Pour into small jars; let cool; then cover tightly and refrigerate. This can be kept in the fridge about 2 weeks.
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies!
Other messages in this thread:
- REC: Honey Nut Pastries - cheezz - 10:44pm on 07/22/09
- REC: Caramel Apple Salad [LINK] - cheezz - 10:46pm on 07/22/09
- REC: Cucumber Sandwiches [LINK] - cheezz - 10:48pm on 07/22/09
- REC: Pimento Cheese Sandwiches [LINK] - cheezz - 10:48pm on 07/22/09
- Note: the pimento filling makes a KILLER grilled cheese sandwich, too! [NT] - cheezz - 9:56pm on 07/23/09
- REC: Cook's Illustrated Lemon Bars [LINK] - cheezz - 10:48pm on 07/22/09
- REC: Patty's Quiche Supreme [LINK] - cheezz - 10:49pm on 07/22/09
- REC: Cream Scones with kumquat curd [LINK] - cheezz - 10:49pm on 07/22/09
- REC: White chocolate raspberry mini cupcakes [LINK] - cheezz - 10:50pm on 07/22/09
- REC: Darn Good Chocolate Cake with chocolate frosting - cheezz - 10:51pm on 07/22/09
- REC: Pulled pork bbq sandwiches on sweet potato biscuits [LINK] - cheezz - 10:52pm on 07/22/09
- and one of the set tables... [NT] [IMAGE] - cheezz - 11:09pm on 07/22/09
- and last but not least, the tea slideshow >> [NT] [LINK] - cheezz - 10:47pm on 07/23/09